Tuesday, October 2, 2007

IM ing

I used IM years and years ago. It was a real fad for a little bit on my part. Had to get all my relatives names and bug them to death. It got to be inconvenient. Even my kids set their away messages on their accounts so they can monitor who is on. Mr. Dave and I talked (IM'd). Its just that sometimes its better to talk face to face with people because when you write things, you write too much and can be to forceful in what you say. Face to face in a business situation is better because you tone yourselves down and have less chances of getting fired for what you say. I just think if the desk uses them with patrons, you'll have the annoying people who just want to waste your time because they can. Think if you are really busy at the desk and not typing back to someone quickly they might just keep im'ing you over and over until you respond. I've heard Follett uses IM for staff to get a hold of each other. Limiting it to that works well for them. I would just worry that someone would forget to put their unavailable link up and you would be pestering them at the wrong time and making enemies.

No comments: